Cabinet approves extension of pharmaceuticals purchase policy-THE HINDU-03-02-2020
• The Union Cabinet has approved the extension/renewal of Pharmaceuticals Purchase Policy (PPP) with the same terms and conditions while adding one additional product namely, Alcoholic Hand Disinfectant (AHD) to the existing list of 103 medicines till the final closure/strategic disinvestment of the pharmaceutical PSUs.
• Pharmaceuticals Purchase Policy (PPP) was approved by the Cabinet in 2013 for a period of five years in respect of 103 medicines manufactured by pharma CPSUs and their subsidiaries.
• The policy is applicable to purchases by Central/ State Government departments and their Public Sector Undertakings etc.
• The pricing of the products is done by National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA).
• The procuring entity can purchase from Pharma CPSUs and their subsidiaries subject to their meeting Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) norms as per Schedule ‘M’ of the Drugs & Cosmetic Rules.